Saturday, May 3, 2008

Life since February, in a nutshell

so the basics since i last said anything to anyone via the internet are:

1. staying in japan for a third year. this was a tough decision, but the facts that my car and my pets at home are gone, i have no boyfriend at home anymore, no job, no place to life or college plans yet to speak of, and overall enjoy my life here made me decide to go for the full 3 year possibility. this means if you still haven't visited me in japan yet, you have a while longer to do so.

2. my work is pretty crazy, since my board of education just adopted the schedule changes i proposed back in feb. approximately 3 weeks after the school year had already started. this is going to take some getting used to all around. in theory, it'll give me less work and more time with a smaller group of students. we'll see if it works out as intended after this initial run.

3. the change at work really surprised me, as the new rotation requires 2 English teachers and i thought as of next august we were going to have only one. yet, i walk into a meeting to find my old proposal laid out and translated, so it seems as though there will be more than one person next year. mixed messages from the board of ed aren't helping. if i do end up on my own next year, things are going to be really messed up.

4. i ran for a position in AJET, the association for japanese exchange and teaching participants, but i lost. slightly a relief, though a bit of a let down.

5. went to hong kong to visit my friend robin one last time before she heads off on the rest of her adventures through india and china, after which she'll go back to canada. she was my only friend from tokyo orientation onward, and it really saddens me to see her go. still, we had a great time in HK, and if you want to see photos, they are available on my facebook, let me know and i can send the link if you're not already part of the fb masses.

feeling good, although things can be stressful at times. the next time i have a good story, i'll put it up here. or if i think of something else. we'll see.

1 comment:

astrocook said...

ooo, neat, you're influencing the school board. you're big and fancy and important. good work.